Tina Senegal

TinaSenegal is a blog about my life in Oussouye, Senegal. My greatest desire is for this village to experience the LOVE of Jesus Christ.

Friday, July 4, 2008

Termites

This is a fourth of July I will never forget. It appears that the termites in Oussouye are very independent. Last night there were clouds of termites attracted to the light on the house. We are the only house in the area with electricity so they seemed to come from everywhere. I made the mistake of turning my light on to put my mosquito net up and it took only a minute for the room to be a swirling mess of flying termites. I grabbed my blanket and ran to the living room. The kitchen was equally as crawling and flying as my room but since the light in the living room was off they were only swarming to the light of the computer. It was horrible. I laid down and cried. I can handle most everything here in West Africa. But to have my house become a haven for thousands of traveling termites who are now making their home around the house and then not being able to escape and have them crawling all over me in my hair and under my shirt, that was too much for me. Today we cleaned up the aftermath now face the question of what to do next. Here in the Cassamance everyone has a piece of advice for you. The internet has thousands of pieces of advice. So far I have heard that they are coming from the forest towards the light. They will stop after the first few weeks of the rains, and a thousand other tidbits about killing them. Arghhhhhhhhhh! I hate bugs!



1 comment:

Stacy Ann said...

I have the willies just looking. Prayers that you find a solution!

Stacy Ann