Tina Senegal

TinaSenegal is a blog about my life in Oussouye, Senegal. My greatest desire is for this village to experience the LOVE of Jesus Christ.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Got Gas?


I was in Ziguinchor last Thursday to pay the phone bill. I was in a taxi headed towards the big market. I thought perhaps I would buy a hot plate so at least we could reheat leftovers without starting up the grill. I see this donkey cart going down the road with gas canisters. I yell out the window, "is there gas?" he said yes........now rumor has it that there is no gas in all of Senegal. Let alone available for everyone here in Ziguinchor. So we go a little bit further and I see another donkey cart full of gas canisters. So I start asking my driver where there is gas. Then he keeps responding in Wolof. I kept saying to him, "don't you speak French........?????" "No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Arghghghghgh So we stopped the car and I asked another guy..........where is there gas...............he said.........."try this place, it's a depot.........there isn't any gas in Senegal but you can try it".

I got out of the car with the Wolof speaker on impulse. I got another taxi and asked him to take me to this depot of gas. We get there and it's total chaos. Everyone is standing in the mud waiting for gas to be unloaded from this giant truck. There are donkey carts everywhere. The gas is falling off the donkey carts. There is a traffic jam and people are fighting for the gas. The guy tells me I need an empty bottle. I said I am from Oussouye I don't have one..........my taxi driver says, don't worry we will go and get one.........so we head across town and we see all these donkey carts headed this direction. I am like oh no we'll never make it in time. I have to buy an empty canister for $20 but we get back and we are the last person in the door when it closed behind us and they said no more gas. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WAS THE LAST PERSON IN LINE TO GET MY GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS GOD

No comments: