Tina Senegal

TinaSenegal is a blog about my life in Oussouye, Senegal. My greatest desire is for this village to experience the LOVE of Jesus Christ.

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Bicycle




Here are some pictures of my fabulous new bicycle. I love this bike to bits. My neighbors at the Campement close to the house love bikes as well. The bike has become the conversation piece so I can hang out there more with Po and Co. They show me how to put air in the tired...he he...I couldn't figure it out...blond. Also cleaning the sand off the bike is a whole process I do once a week. But I received my lesson from these guys.

Bicycles in Oussouye are generally shared pieces of life. There are two or three taxi's AROUND. Who service the whole area here south of Ziguinchor. Very few private cars, a few people in Oussouye have motorcycles and moto's or mopeds. Those are quite common with the middle to upper class and also among older people. Bicycles are every where. Its really cool if your family has one. My neighbors have a bicycle and they send their child into town to exchange my gas canister strapped to the back of the bicycle.

Bicycles are generally things you lend to people. Oussouye is quite large if you have to rush from one end of the village and back. This rarely happens. But never the less, people always borrow a bike, and then perhaps the bike is lended out to someone else also. I do not lend this bicycle. Sorry, I can't replace it, so I don't lend it. Sometimes with great care and pride, Ishmael takes it into town for some reason.

As I ride people comment and you still have to greet everyone you pass when you are on the bicycle. The bike is a great help to me. No helmet laws here, but there are no cars and you are never going very fast, and you are almost never on pavement.

One last thing, everyone wants me to GIVE them the bike. They ask me all the time, when are you giving me the bicycle. Its Oussouye's way of saying, they love it. I always joke and say I'll be right back or tomorrow.

No comments: