Tina Senegal

TinaSenegal is a blog about my life in Oussouye, Senegal. My greatest desire is for this village to experience the LOVE of Jesus Christ.

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Would you like some MONKEY?






Yesterday I was in Ziguinchor working on my paperwork for my residential identity here. My friend Offie Bolie loves bush meat and I had promised the pastors in Oussouye I would try and get some monkey for them. Their wives refuse to buy bush meat or cook it. Especially monkey because monkeys look like men. This is what Offie's wife says anyways. Finally the restaurant that only serves beer and bush meat had some to offer me. I thought I would be walking in to purchase a nice package of meat in a plastic bag or something. Instead, he opens the freezer and pulls out this huge whole frozen monkey. Teeth bared to scare off the weak of heart. I tried not to flinch. He thought I might just want the whole monkey. I am looking at my backpack, then back at the guy, thinking about doing the rest of my shopping in Ziguinchor with a monkey in a baggy. Perhaps some feet sticking out the top. I said I was only looking to buy a couple of kilos. He then proceeds to lop off the backend. Showing me that I could purchase the whole backside and a couple of legs, stub of the tail included. It was still too big. I said how about a leg and half the bum. So he proceeds to chop off a hauch, leaving me the stub of the tail. He puts it in a plastic bag and I pay my $3. Then Offie and I went to have a drink and eat our porcupine. It tasted just like chicken.

Later I went to the pool and asked that my monkey be kept in the freezer for a couple of hours. Laughter. Everyone thought I was joking. Tee hee

No comments: