Tina Senegal

TinaSenegal is a blog about my life in Oussouye, Senegal. My greatest desire is for this village to experience the LOVE of Jesus Christ.

Monday, October 1, 2007

Rice





I was born in a farming village, surrounded by grape vineyards, fruits of all kinds, farmers and their families, I understand a bit about the seasons of a farmer. The Cassamance region is a farming region. Everyone plants their rice. Rice is for the family, some is for food, some is for sale and some is just to save and display your wealth. If you can save rice for 40 years, like my friend Leopold in Mlumpe, you are wealthy. Rice is the substance of the region. Men, women and children plant and harvest the rice. Students go home to their relatives, to uncles and cousins to plant the family's rice. Families come from as far as Dakar to plant in the rice fields the family owns. Rice is the Cassamance region, and this is her season.

No comments: