Tina Senegal

TinaSenegal is a blog about my life in Oussouye, Senegal. My greatest desire is for this village to experience the LOVE of Jesus Christ.

Monday, September 24, 2007

Bling






During the season of the cultivating the land there are also lots of dances. They have a word for them in Jola and it sounds to me like can can. So I just refer to them as cancans. The young men and women from the village come and dance in a circle and we all go and watch. The music and songs change but the dance stays relatively the same. Many times the women dance in the middle and the men on the outside.

But the main thing is the BLING!!!!! You have to wear a lot of bling no matter what outfit you have chosen for the dance. Cd's are particularly popular but last week I saw an entire LP hanging from this guys arm. Sometimes they attach pottery or fake flowers. Many of the guys carry weapons or all sorts to show their strength and bravery (in dance?)

No comments: