Tina Senegal

TinaSenegal is a blog about my life in Oussouye, Senegal. My greatest desire is for this village to experience the LOVE of Jesus Christ.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Where's the cheese please?

For being a French Colony Senegal is seriously lacking in good cheese. The other day I decided I was going to buy mozarella cheese and buy all of the African ingredients for a pizza. One green pepper, onions, a can of tomato paste, a can of corned beef and of course the cheese.

Here's the cheese adventure. I went to the supermarche in Ziguinchor to buy the mozarella and oregano. The guy at the cheese counter told me how much it cost in French and I had no idea what he said. So I said that piece is fine. One already cut and small. It cost almost $4 for that hunk. Hense why I am learning to cook local foods here not American. I then leave and head to the market to spend 3 hours
buying various other things for the training center. I then have to go to the station and wait for two hours till the car leaves. Then spend an hour and a half in the car home.

The cheese was making a serious sad face after all of this.

I then got to Oussouye but had to wheel my new wheel barrow through town to where Matt lives. I was truely a sight to behold. Every one said BRAVO Christiana, you can push a wheel barrow.

Then I finally get home 10 hours after buying the cheese and put it in the freezer to find some life.

I begin to look into putting something in Astou's oven. Now I have seen cakes that Astou has made and I guess I thought that she actually used the oven at our house; I was wrong. We got a flashlight and looked inside the oven. There peaking out at us was a dozen or so cockroaches. That's right. Their little antennas in the air looking at us waving back and forth saying, cook us we will survive and come to haunt you. So I abandoned the oven idea. But the sauce was made so I proceeded to make the best pizza hordeurves ever created.

In Africa always have a plan B

No comments: