Tina Senegal

TinaSenegal is a blog about my life in Oussouye, Senegal. My greatest desire is for this village to experience the LOVE of Jesus Christ.

Monday, April 16, 2007

The Funeral

A Funeral, What Fun!
The funeral really began for me on Saturday afternoon when news came around to the women at the church that Bernard's mother had died. The women began to dance. Each in their turn they would dance and instruct the young ones on how it was done exactly. There was a specific shake to the backside that the young ones weren't getting. Awa says to me “Have you heard the news that Bernard's mother is dead?” I gave her a puzzled look thinking at first that it must be my French again, I was sure she had not just said Bernard's mother is dead with that giant smile on her face. So Awa pinches her nose and roles back her eyes to signify death, laughing and squealing with delight. I was sure at this point that my I must have misunderstood, laughing, dancing, joy, death. The women began to play the tom tom again practicing their moves for the dancing circle.

I returned home that evening and Astou explained that yes Bernard's mother was dead and she was going to visit the family. I went along with her, thinking perhaps I could understand more about the excitement. Bernard's mother was laid out in the backyard on someones bed. The light was muted by the sheets that had been hung around the body. There was incense burning and family members had begun to gather at the house. They would remain there for two days until the body was put into the ground. Astou and I greeted Bernard and his wife giving them our condolences.

The next day people arrived from all the surrounding villages. Bernard's mother was a priestess in a shrine, she was very old and she was a Diatta. The house was filled with women from the young to the old they had gathered to celebrate the passing of their friend into another life. And the women were ready to dance. They began shouting in celebration one after they other, high fives were flying as were the hips. Dancing, dancing, dancing, it is time to celebrate. Palm wine was served in calabash bowls and women continued to attend to the body in the yard, fanning the flies off of her face. I am not sure she cared.

The evening would soon come and she would be put into the ground.

No comments: